Posts Tagged ‘cat familiars’
Halloween: a time for pumpkins, witches…and of course, black cats. But, how did the black cat become associated with Halloween? Go back in time to the middle ages, when people believed in myths, fables and legends. Black cats quickly became known as “familiars” — or the spirits of witches in animal form. History also shows that people thought black cats were witches reincarnated.
- If you have a black cat that goes outside, keep them inside for the weekend before, the week of and on Halloween
- If you’re having a party, put your cat in a carrier so they won’t have the opportunity to run out of a room or the house and get outside
- When you’re handing out candy to trick or treaters, keep your cat locked up in a room or in a carrier so they won’t run out the door
- Also, remember, cats cannot eat chocolate and most candies, so keep your candy in a cabinet or drawer where they can’t get to it.
- If you’re burning candles, try the new tea lights that run on battery versus ones that you light with a match! They look the same and give the same effect as real candles.
- If you have anything with strings, remember that cats love to play with and chew on string…so be careful!