Newsletter Vol.113: October 2019
From the President's Desk: A Message from TICA President Vickie Fisher
Hi TICA Friends!
I hope everyone had the opportunity to attend last month’s TICA 40th Annual Banquet and Show in Las Vegas, NV. A huge thank you to Jazzy Cats and the Mid Pacific Region for all their hard work in hosting a spectacular event this year. I’d also like to thank our sponsors, Dr. Elsey Cat Products, Royal Canin, Sturdi Products, ViaGen, Starla’s Cat and Paw Tree. Without their help and generous donations the event would not have been possible.
Prior to the events of the weekend, TICA's Board of Directors conducted its Annual meeting. Among the actions taken by the Board were the following:
- Wording was changed within the Outstanding Cattery program to make clear that “three formal complaints” are required to revoke an Outstanding Cattery Certificate. This change goes into effect immediately.
- An amendment to Show Rule 23.5 was passed by the Board and will go to TICA's Membership as part of the 2019 Membership Ballot you all will receive soon. The Show Rule amendment severely restricts the ability to show a declawed cat in classes other than the household pet classes.
- The definition of Charcoal Pattern Effect was added to the Uniform Color Descriptions (UCD). This change goes into effect immediately.
A number of proposals made by our members -- including changes to Bylaws, Standing Rules, the Judging Program, and the Clerking Program -- were also discussed. A huge thanks to those members who gave their time and thoughts to generate those proposals.
Additional information and complete meeting minutes can be downloaded here.
Thank you for sharing your fabulous felines and helping us create the fun and friendships that make TICA unique!
In This Issue
Winn Feline Foundation Celebrates Cures4Cats Day on October 19 | TICA Recognizes Pet King Brands with An Endorsement of Excellence Award | TICA Partners with ILoveVeterinary.com: Enter to Win a Cat Pulse Necklace | Cat Reunited with Owner After Six Years: A Story of Hope and the Power of Microchips | Just Like Humans, Study Finds Obese Cats Struggle to Lose Weight | Winn October Update | TICA Regional Updates
Winn Feline Foundation Celebrates Cures4Cats Day on October 19
The Winn Feline Foundation will be celebrating its Cures4Cats Day on October 19. This annual day of awareness is dedicated to highlighting Winn-funded research, the critical need for evidence-based medicine, early-stage biomedical research, and health answers for cats.
To donate, visit the Winn Cures4Cats website https://www.winnfelinefoundation.org/programs/cures4cats to view the various options of giving.
Since 1968, Winn has provided more than $6.8 million in funding to researchers who work toward a better understanding of diseases that impact cats, more effective treatments, and increasingly, cures for both complex and common feline health conditions.
The Winn Feline Foundation promotes the health and welfare of all cats by developing or participating in projects for their betterment, including the funding of research and education.
TICA Recognizes Pet King Brands with An Endorsement of Excellence Award
Recognized for their commitment to providing safe, non-toxic, and easy-to-use solutions for healthy feline ears, skin, and mouths, TICA bestows its newest Endorsement of Excellence Award to Pet King Brands.
For more than 20 years, Pet King Brands’ veterinarian-recommended Zymox® skin and ear care products and Oratene® brushless oral care products have provided healthy, non-toxic pet care solutions that help people care for their cats ears, skin, and oral health needs.
Zymox and Oratene are enzyme-based products that utilize the patented LP3 Enzyme system and are free of harsh chemicals and antibiotics. Zymox skin care products are designed to quickly and easily sooth and calm a cat’s sensitive, irritated or allergic skin. Zymox ear solutions provide relief for cats with problematic ears without the need to pre-clean inflamed ears or use antibiotics. The Oratene brushless oral care provides superior oral care and effortlessly helps keep the cat’s breath fresh and teeth clean.
For more information on Pet King Brands’, visit them online at https://www.zymox.com/about.
TICA Partners with ILoveVeterinary.com: Enter to Win a Cat Pulse Necklace
TICA has partnered with the website www.ILoveVeterinary.com to offer members access to veterinary news and information and an exclusive discount at their store.
ILoveVeterinary.com unites veterinary enthusiasts from around the world with the goal of sharing information that will aid in the growth and development of the veterinary field.
The site hosts a blog with the latest veterinary news and information along with interviews with professionals in the field, surgical procedure videos, and info graphics related to animal diseases and care for a more visual understanding.
As a result of TICA’s partnership, members will receive 15% off items from the ILoveVeterinary store of veterinary and cat lover related gifts. The special offer is available online at store.iloveveterinary.com
by entering the discount code tica15 at checkout.
To celebrate TICA’s new partnership, ILoveVeterinary.com is giving away one Cat Veterinarian Jewelry Gift Luxury Heart Necklace – Cat Pulse, valued at $39.95. To enter go to the TICA Facebook page and tell us why your cat is so special on the ILoveVeterinary.com post. A winner will be selected at random.
Click here to see more about Reginald’s amazing story.
Cat Reunited with Owner After Six Years: A Story of Hope and the Power of Microchips
Six years ago, Rebecca Hill’s cat Reginald was let out of her home by mistake and hadn’t been seen since. Over the years, Rebecca had lost hope and didn't think she would see her cat again.
At the same time, Nancy Bassinger noticed a cat that showed up everyday in her driveway. Over the years she fed him and took care of him until one day he got sick and she brought him to the Cat Hospital of Metairie. It was there that the veterinarian recommended checking the cat for a microchip.
That night, Rebecca received the phone call she had lost hope she would receive. Reginald was found thanks to his microchip. Rebecca reached out to TICA Endorsement of Excellence recipient Sleepypod with her story and as a result the company donated a complimentary carrier.
At least 15 percent of cat owners lose their pets during the course of any given five-year period, according to a 2018 study in the journal Animals by the National Center for Biotechnology Information. The odds of finding a lost pet are best when they have been microchipped. Ask your vet about microchipping your pet if you haven’t done so already.
Just Like Humans, Study Finds Obese Cats Struggle to Lose Weight
According to a new study by the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, more than fifty percent of the nation’s felines are overweight or obese and are at an increased risk of diabetes, arthritis, and liver problems among other health concerns.
To help battle the bulge, researchers focused on how to keep indoor cats at a healthy weight. The study, sponsored by Purina, selected 44 obese cats and created a custom weight-loss plan that included weight-loss food and low-calorie snacks. Some cats wore activity monitors to measure their movements, while others were given food toys. All owners recorded their observations in monthly questionnaires about their cat's perceived behavioral changes.
According to the study, the first step in helping your cat shed its pounds is to put an end to all-day snacking. Providing more low-calorie snacks, and dieting along with your cat were also found to be effective.
Winn October Update
Winn at the American Veterinary Medical Association Convention (AVMA) and Fetch – Winn participated in the exhibit hall at both the AVMA Convention in Washington, D.C. August 2-6, 2019 and the Fetch Conference in Kansas City, MO August 23–26, 2019. These events give Winn the opportunity to tell people about Winn and update them on what Winn has been doing over the past year and what’s to come.
Winn Feline Foundation 2020 Call for Grant Proposals – Winn just announced the 2020 Call for Grant Proposals. Click here https://www.winnfelinefoundation.org/grants/grant-awards for more information. Deadline is December 9th, 2019. Reviews will begin mid-March.
Winn Feline Foundation FIP Symposium: PURRsuing FIP and WINNing an interactive presentation and panel discussion concerning topics and updates on FIP will be held November 16-17, 2019 at UC Davis. The event is sponsored by TICA and Dr. Elsey’s Cat Products and will include an outstanding lineup of experts from around the world. Registration is now open. Click here https://www.winnfelinefoundation.org/education/winn-fip-symposium for more information.
TICA Regional Updates
Click here to read updates on the following TICA Regions:
- TICA Great Lakes Regional Update
- TICA Mid Pacific Regional Update
- TICA Northeast Regional Update
- TICA South Central Regional Update
TICA Great Lakes Regional Update:
TICA GL Region Treasury Update:
- The current balance of the TICA GL Region is $3057.11 (plus a pending $263.38).
- The GL Region would like to extend a big Thank You to members for sponsoring all TICA Annual awards for our region, including donations in total of $700 from individual members, $300 from clubs and $400 from the Region to sponsor our two judges. Your generosity is appreciated!
- The GL Region would like to extend a big Thank You to members for sponsoring every single GL regional award and rosette. Thanks to Chris Unangst for her tireless efforts in obtaining these valuable sponsorships!
- The GL Region is thrilled to report that they were able to sponsor BOTH of our GL judges (Jamie Christian & Edith Mary Smith) at the TICA Annual in Las Vegas this past month. The funds for these two sponsorships came from regional members, clubs, and the region itself. The Region did so well with awards sponsorships that they had some left to help the Annual out. Your generosity is appreciated!
Mark your calendar for the following shows/events:
- Prairie State Cat Club, November 16-17 in Franklin Park, IL. Early bird registration deadline is October 15, 2019.
- Get Ready for the 2022 TICA Annual – GREAT LAKES! The event will be hosted by Showcats and take place in Chicago, IL.
Yearbook Orders – The TICA GL Region would like to remind its members to reserve their spot for showcasing their cats/cattery by ordering their book today!! See Chris Unangst for more details or order online https://tica.org/downloads/file/542-2019-tica-yearbook-order-form
2019 Election – Great Lakes Regional Director - Every three years the Great Lakes Regional Director position is up for a vote. This is our year! In addition to voting for your RD, you will have two proposals for consideration. Please take time to read the rationale and proposals. If you have questions, don't hesitate to email, call or ask me at a show! Members who are eligible to vote, are at least 18 years of age, a TICA member in good standing, and a member for at least 6-months prior to the election.
TICA Mid Pacific Regional Update:
Mark your calendar for the following shows/events:
- Cats and Sin City cat club is hosting a “Spooktacular” Allbreed Cat Show, October 26-27 in Henderson Nevada.
- iPurrcats Cat Club is looking forward to their San Mateo California show, November 2-3.
- Jazzy Cats cat club is taking no breaks, after a phenomenal Annual jumping right back into it with an Allbreed cat show in Roseville California on January 3-5 2020. Lots of rings, lots of potential points, and certainly lots of fun! Enter now and enter often!!
- 10th annual Wine, Cheese and Kitties, hosted by Wine Country Cat Club, March 21-22 2020 in Lone, California.
TICA Northeast Regional Update:
Membership Report: Wow! Hosting the largest membership count globally as of September 2019, the TICA Northeast Region is home to 663 members!
A New TICA NE Show in Seekonk, MA: The NE Region is proud to announce a new, all-in-one show in Seekonk, MA on November 16th and 17th. Let your felines frolic in the region's inaugural Harvest Feline Festival! Visit the Official TICA Show Calendar for more details.
Mark your calendars for the remaining 2019 Northeast shows:
- Nauticats Cat Club, Oct 19-20 in Quebec City, Quebec
- Cats Ahoy Cat Club, Oct 19-20 in Hartford, CT
- Nauticats Cat Club, Nov 2-3 in Montreal, Quebec
- Clawsome Cats, Nov 16-17 in Seekonk, MA
- Canuck Cat Club, Nov 23-24 in Mississauga, Ontario
TICA NE October Member Spotlight: David Billingsley
The Northeast Region is honored to feature Maine Coon breeder and long-time member, David Billingsley. He was recognized by fellow TICA Northeast members, friends and Maine Coon breeders at the Northeast Regional Banquet in July. The following tribute was presented: "On behalf of the Northeast Maine Coon breeders, we have a special honor to present. This honor recognizes an individual who has made important contributions to the breed we love so much. First, if you ever don't know what color your cat is (and this happens more than you would think), this is who we turn to. If you ever have a question about a Punnett Square, this is who we turn to. If you don’t know the difference between cooties and agoutis, this is your guy. You can call him Cloistercoon, if you have sought his advice. If you have known him as a friend, you can call him David. But don’t, whatever you do, ever call him or any cat, “merle”. In recognition of his encyclopedic knowledge of the Maine Coon colors and patterns, and of his diligence in bringing the ticked tabby Maine Coon to the forefront of the cat fancy, we wish to present David Billingsley this Honorary Doctorate of Maine Coon Colors and Pattern Genetics."
The TICA Northeast Region thanks David for sharing his endless knowledge, his warm smile in the show hall, and his passion for the Maine Coon breed.
TICA South Central Regional Update:
Mark your calendar for the following shows/events:
- Austin Cat Fanciers, October 5-6 in Temple, TX
- Garden of the Cats, October 12-13 in Colorado Springs, CO
- Feline Paw Foundation, November 9-10 in Midlothian, TX
- Thunderkatz, November 23-24 in Stillwater, OK
- Turkish Van Connection, December 14-15 in Waxahachie, TX
- The TICA SC Region would like to thank all those who sponsored SC Regional Awards. Your generosity made it possible for all SC regional winners to receive beautiful plaques and rosettes.
- The TICA SC Region would also like to thank all the SC clubs who sponsored the Region’s two judges at September’s Annual - Fate Mays and Jim Armel. The Region’s sponsorship was listed on a banner in each of their judging rings.
Every Vote Counts - The fall TICA ballot will be out by October 31st. Please make sure your information is up to date with the TICA Executive Office and exercise your right to vote!